By Chef Mick Brown
LOS ANGELES- If you tune in to this week’s Season Finale of Bravo TV’s hit show Vanderpump Rules – “When Push Comes to Shove”- you’ll witness the big Engagement Party (“Of the Year”) for Katie Maloney and Tom Schwartz. The event is held at Villa Rosa, the mansion owned by Housewives of Beverly Hills star Lisa Vanderpump and her husband Ken. The episode includes beautiful people, exciting drama and- oh yeah- Barbecue. By now you may have guessed, my crew-Tastee BQ Grilling Co.- was honored to be invited to cater the big event.
Why us? I’d like to think of it as a reward for my many years of blogging Healthier BBQ Recipes online. Or because of the perfect 5-Star Yelp reviews from our exclusive group of clients? Most likely, it was a result of my recent win as Grill Master Champion of Cutthroat Kitchen on Food Network. In the Vanderpump Rules episode, most of the action takes place after the BBQ Lunch, but some of the Food is featured during montages. The staff and I are briefly seen Grilling, and my voice can be heard in one Clip describing Grilled Asparagus with Balsamic Reduction.
Chef Mick Brown gathering some of the extra Sliced Smoked Chicken to leave for the Hosts.
Even if your home doesn’t happen to be on top of Beverly Hills, you can still use these ideas for your Backyard BBQ’s this upcoming Summer. Here are 5 Tips for Delicious and Healthy Backyard BBQ Dishes:
1. Smoked Multicolor Tortilla Chips with Green and Red Grilled Salsas- Red, Green and Blue Tortilla Chips are sprinkled with a Low Salt/Sugar BBQ Rub and smoked with Hickory on Indirect Heat for 8-10 minutes. Serve in separate bowls or in colorful sections on a large platter. Add Grilled Onions to the Red Salsa, Grilled Tomatillos to the Green Salsa and Fresh Chopped Cilantro to both.
2. Caprese Salad Skewers- To cut the Calories, us Part Skim Mozzarella, cut the Cheese Cubes smaller (1/2’’ inch), and put at least 2 Cherry Tomatoes and 1 Fresh Basil Leaf and on each Skewer. If you have time, smoke the Skewers on Foil for a minute before passing them warm to your Guests. Finish with a drizzle of BBQ seasoned Balsamic Vinegar Reduction.
3. Southwest BBQ Pinto, Garbanzo and Black Beans w/ Chopped Grilled Veggies- Use low fat Canned Beans and add Cumin, Cilantro and Chili or Taco Seasonings (or a Mix). Also add dashes of BBQ Rub and Sauce, to taste. Make it even Healthier with Chopped Grilled Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers and Onions in the pot.
4. Grilled Asparagus with Balsamic Reduction- It isn’t easy being Green. Toss Asparagus in your favorite combination of Olive Oil and Herbs, or use BBQ Rub and rotate while grilling for 5-8 minutes.There is nothing like tasting fresh Asparagus from a Smoky Grill with a drizzle of Garlic Balsamic Vinegar Reduction.
5. Smoked BBQ Chicken Breasts, Sliced with Citrus BBQ Sauce on Side- Use your favorite marinade and smoke Chicken on Indirect heat. Note the Calories and Sugar content before purchasing BBQ Sauce, as most claim a serving is only 2 Tablespoons. Who are they kidding? Lighten it up by heating and mixing the sauce with up to 1 cup of Orange Juice and (skin-on) Wedges of Fresh Lemons and Oranges.
Sorry I don’t have any backstage “dirt” to spill about the event or any of the participants. The cast of Vanderpump Rules were very friendly and gracious to me (and the staff)- in between the fights seen on the Show. Especially Hosts Katie and Tom- they were a total delight and I wish them the very best as they pursue a (hopefully) long and happy marriage together. Tom even mentioned that they are looking for someone to cater their upcoming Wedding…
Vanderpump Rules Season Finale “Push Comes to Shove” (Episode 20) Originally aired on March 14th, and has encore showings this Weekend and scheduled through March 28. The episode is also available online at BravoTV On Demand, and on the BravoTV Smartphone App.
Vanderpump Rules Episode Schedule- http://www.bravotv.com/vanderpump-rules/schedule
Watch “Push Comes to Shove” Bravo On Demand- http://www.bravotv.com/node/1107181
Chef Mick Brown is a Food Blogger, Caterer and Grilling Instructor based in Los Angeles, with over 30 years BBQ experience. Aside from this new project BBQ RESCUES!, his passions are creating Easy Grilling Recipes and searching for the World’s Best Flavors. General Manager of Tastee BQ Grilling Co. and the new California Gold BBQ Rubs. He is also author of web serial blog “The Adventures of Tastee BQ.” and career blog BBQ Catering Confidential. He recently appeared on the Food Network for “Grill or Be Grilled” a special BBQ Edition of Cutthroat Kitchen where he won the Champion Title of Grill Master. His episode is now available on iTunes. Email- Mick@BBQRESCUES.com
Helpful Links from BBQ RESCUES!:
How to Smoke Food on Any Gas, Charcoal or Ceramic Grill
Recipes for Homemade BBQ Rubs
How to Make Fresh Smoked BBQ Chips- BBQ RESCUES! TV on Youtube
Recipe for Grilling Vegetables