Not just another Burger Recipe. These delicious Grilled BBQ Burger Combos feature Superfoods, with Paleo and Gluten Free Options. Also, unique Grilled Watermelon “Fries” Recipe. Hosted by Chef Mick Brown, with footage from the Santa Monica Police Dept. 120th Anniversary Birthday BBQ, Kingsford Charcoal, Tastee BQ Grilling Co. (Los Angeles). Homemade DIY BBQ Rub Recipe and HEROIC! by California Gold BBQ Rubs.
by Chef Mick Brown
Courtesy of www.BBQRESCUES.com
How do you Grill a Better Burger? Isn’t it about time to try? Not only for Holidays, but for any day of the year. Restaurants are now charging upwards of $15 for a decent Grilled Burger. You can make juicy and delicious Burgers at home for a fraction of the price. Most importantly, you’ll really get to “Have it your way.” For parties, it is even better nowadays to allow Guests choices for the Paleo Diet, Vegetarian and Gluten Free options, as well as fluffy Brioche buns. Some creative additions of Fruits and Vegetables to the Menu will be appreciated by Diabetics and others who are trying to eat healthier. These were inspired by a big event I catered for the Employees of the Santa Monica Police Department. So Labor Day is the perfect time to share them.
I own the noteworthy distinction of having one of my BBQ Burger dishes described as “Too Healthy” and “UnAmerican” by Food Network Judge Simon Majumdar, right before I was named the first Cutthroat Kitchen Grilling Champion. [The dish was a Smoked BBQ Cheeseburger with Grilled Broccolini]. For over 2 years, I had been distributing a Gluten Free, All-Natural Herb and Spice Rub. It is a delicious blend of internationally recognized Superfoods (like Smoked Paprika, Garlic, Onion and Turmeric, etc…), with No Added Salt, Sugar or Preservatives. The blend is called HEROIC! by California Gold BBQ Rubs. Fortunately, more and more people are starting to find it on Amazon.com.
Just so you know, the event was the Santa Monica Police Department’s 120th Anniversary “Birthday” Party. They were expecting up to 500 people! Fortunately, Kingsford contributed plenty of bags of Professional Charcoal. The Pit Barrel Cooker Co. pitched in new Grills for us to use (plus extras to give the Police Dept.). Many of the Celebrants were into fitness, and had their Hot Links, Burgers and/or Chicken Breast “Sandwiches” without the buns. I also learned from the Vegetarian and Gluten Free Guests that they prefer to eat All Natural and don’t want to settle for the engineered Soy based Meat and Dairy substitutes.
If you don’t happen to have HEROIC! (or another favorite BBQ Rub) on hand, check out some of these Homemade Rub Recipes. The point of these Recipes is to infuse amazing flavors into your Burgers before adding the Ketchup, Mustard and BBQ Sauce. Also, eat plenty of Fruits and Veggies (Raw or Grilled), for a more balanced BBQ Experience. It is also easy to add Natural Smoke flavor to your Grilling (see link below). For those on Social Media, please share photos of your Super Duper #HEROICBurgers (and #WatermelonFries Pics) with #BBQRESCUES! on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest or Google+. Have a great Holiday. Until next time, Eat and Be Well.
Here are my Picks for The 3 Greatest HEROIC! Super Duper BBQ Burgers:
1. Paleo “Diet” Style Burger- Superfood Seasoned Ground Beef with Fresh Grilled Onions.
2. BRIOCHE! SUPERFOOD! DELUXE!- Fresh “Salad” Piled High on top of your Superfood Patty.
3. ‘SHROOM BURGER DELIGHT with GRILLED WATERMELON “FRIES”- Use two large Grilled Portobello Mushrooms as the buns. A hint of Pink Himalayan Salt added to Quick Grilled Watermelon “Fries” will take your taste buds into uncharted territory.
INGREDIENTS (For 4 Servings):
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 2 Tbsp. HEROIC! BBQ Rub (see Homemade BBQ Rub Recipes here)
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tsp. Himalayan Sea Salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 Tsp. Fresh Ground Pepper (or to taste)
[For Vegetarian Version, Substitute 2″ Thick sliced Eggplant, and season the same way]
- 4 Brioche Hamburger Buns; or
- 8 Grilled Portobello Mushrooms (for ‘Shroom Burger)
Superfood Rubbed Potato Chips
- 1 Bag Potato Chips
- 2 tbsp HEROIC! Rub
- Aluminum Foil Pan or Handmade Foil Basket
- 1 Watermelon (5+ lbs.)
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt (to taste)
- HEROIC! Rub (optional)
- 4 Slices All Natural Cheddar Cheese
- 8 Thin Slices Roma Tomato
- 4 Slices Onion (Grilled Optional)
- Iceberg Lettuce
- Hamburger Pickles
- Ketchup (Low Sugar/Sodium OK)
- Mustard (Yellow or Deli)
- BBQ Sauce (see All Natural Homemade BBQ Sauce Video Below)
- Seasoned Mayo (1 Cup Low Fat Mayo mixed with 1 Tbsp HEROIC! Rub)
- Heat Grill. Gas or Charcoal- may use Wood Chips/Chunks to add Smoky Flavor. Kingsford Charcoal/ Products Recommended for Reliability. See Article on How to Smoke on Any Grill.
- Prep Burgers. Combine all Seasonings with Ground Beef and separate into 4 Patties. May use Burger Press for more uniform shapes.
- Prepare Seasoned Mayo, and slice Onions, Tomatoes and Lettuce for Burgers.
- Cut Watermelon into 2 inch Slices and remove Rinds to make Rectangular shape. Keep Chilled.
- Sear Burgers on high, move to low heat for 4-8 Minutes, depending on desired doneness. Melt Cheese for final 3 Minutes.
- Rub Mushrooms with Olive Oil (to prevent sticking) and Grill 3-5 Minutes/per side (depending on thickness). Do not overcook or will be too mushy.
- Keep Watermelon chilled until ready to use. Quickly cook 2-3 Minutes/ per side on hot part of Grill for Grill Marks, but should stay crisp. Serve Immediately.
- May also briefly Grill Buns for the Brioche Superfood Burger.
- Add desired amount of Potato Chips to aluminum pan (or homemade foil basket), Add BBQ Rub and Smoke for 8-10 Minutes (see video).
The 3 Greatest HEROIC! Super Duper BBQ Burgers (Preview):
The 3 Greatest HEROIC! Super Duper BBQ Burgers (Full Technique Video)
How To Make Homemade BBQ Rub/ BBQ Sauce
How to Smoke BBQ Chips
Cutthroat Kitchen “Grill or Be Grilled” After Show
Mick Brown is a Food Blogger/Purveyor based in Los Angeles, with over 30 years BBQ and Grilling experience. Aside from Caterer and Private Grilling Instructor, his passions are creating Easy Grilling Recipes and searching for the World’s Best Flavors. General Manager of Tastee BQ Grilling Co. and the new California Gold BBQ Rubs. In May of 2015, he won Grill Master Champion on Food Network’s Cutthroat Kitchen on special BBQ episode “Grill or Be Grilled” (Season 8, Episode 3). He also recently appeared on Bravo TV, catering for the Cast of Vanderpump Rules (Season Finale). He is also author of web blogs The Adventures of Tastee BQ and BBQ Catering Confidential. His newest project BBQ RESCUES!, includes a Blog Talk Radio Show, Youtube TV Channel and Podcasts on iTunes. Email- Mick@BBQRESCUES
BBQ RESCUES Homemade Rub Recipes BBQ RESCUES! Smoking Recipes for Homemade BBQ Rubs
How To Smoke Food on Gas or Charcoal Grills BBQ RESCUES! Smoking Food on Charcoal Grills, Ceramic Eggs or Gas Grills
Santa Monica Police Department http://www.santamonicapd.org/
Kingsford Charcoal https://www.kingsford.com/
Pit Barrel Cooker Co. http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com
Tastee BQ Grilling Co. http://tasteebqgrilling.com/
Ciao Bello Staffing https://www.punchbowl.com/vendors/ca-california/santa-monica/c-staffing
California Gold BBQ Rubs http://www.californiagoldrub.com/
HEROIC! on Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IEEYCNA/ref=pe_11480_113080030_emwa_email_title_1