by Chef Mick Brown
Courtesy on www.BBQRescues.org
It’s really easy to Smoke your own Fresh Salmon at home, with a lot less Salt and Preservatives than the stuff you buy at the store. Perfect for Valentine’s Day or Any day. Plus a Grilled Vegetable Dirty Wild Rice recipe you can make on the Grill. Video is dedicated to February National #HeartAwarenessMonth, Combine with #ValentinesDay and try this Home #Smoked #Salmon & Wild Dirty Luv #Rice #Recipe.
Special Thanks to #Minneapolis #TV Personality #MichelleMazzara and Luvafoodie for donating the #SaltFree #Ginger #Lime #Spice Blend used in Video. #BBQRESCUESFoundation #GetFitChallenge #ChefMickBrown #BBQ #HealthyGrilling
On the downside, smoked salmon delivers a hefty dose of sodium. Three ounces of smoked salmon, for example, contains 666 milligrams of sodium, more than one third of a day’s worth. The same serving size of cooked fresh salmon has 50 milligrams.- The Globe and Mail
1.5 lb Fresh Sockeye Salmon
Soft Butter (or Butter Substitute)
Salt-Free Spice Rub (We used Ginger Lime Blend by Luvafoodie)
2 (ea) Red and Yellow Bell Peppers
1 lb Fresh Asparagus
1 Large Lemon
Instant Wild Rice Mix
Heart Shaped or Round Ramekin (optional)
Charcoal, Mesquite Logs, Hickory Wood Chunks
- Set Grill for Indirect Smoking by lighting Charcoal and Mesquite on one side. Soak 3-4 Large Wood Chunks in Water
- Rub Salmon on Foil with 2-3 Tbsp. Butter, Chopped Dill, Chopped Basil, Spice Rub and 4 Slices of Fresh Lemon
- Slice Bell Peppers in half and season with same mixture above
- One Grill is ready put Wood Chunks on Charcoal, set grate, place Salmon on side opposite fire for Indirect Smoking. Place Bell Peppers directly over Hot Side to grill for 10 Minutes (flipping once)
- Season cleaned Asparagus with Butter, Herb, Spice Mixture and set aside.
- Remove cooked Bell Peppers from Grill. Chop into 1″ inch dice, add to small Sauce Pot along with 6 oz. Instant Wild Rice, 2 Cups Hot Seafood Stock and 2 Tbsp Spice Rub. Mix well and cover. [Reserve 1/4 Cup Chopped Red Peppers for final Garnish]
- Place Rice Pot and Asparagus on hot side of Grill. Flip and remove Asparagus in 10 Minutes. Allow Rice to cook 20 Minutes (or until soft), then remove from Grill.
- Also remove Salmon once it has Smoked about 1 Hour indirectly on Grill.
- Place Rice in Buttered Ramekin for presentation. Serve with 4oz. Smoked Salmon (with Lemon), place 6-8 Grilled Asparagus per plate. Finish with final Sprinkling of Spice Rub and Chopped Red Bell Peppers (for color).
- Enjoy. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Sodium in Packaged vs Fresh Smoked Salmon
Luvafoodie Home http://luvafoodie.com/