In time for Cinco De Mayo (or any day) here is a calorie friendly way to avoid the typical Shrimp Tacos that are deep fried and served with heavy cream sauces and mayonnaise laden Guacamole. Instead you can make delicious Grilled Shrimp Tacos with delicious Grilled Veggies to balance out your plate. Or go Vegan by serving the Grilled Veggie Tacos and Smoked Tortilla Chips without the Shrimp. Special Thanks to Luvafoodie.com for sponsoring this recipe with their Margarita and Seafood Lovers Spice Blends.
RECIPE (For 2-3 People)
1 lb Fresh Deveined and Tail Off Large Shrimp
1 Large White Onion
2 Roma Tomatoes
1 Head Iceberg Lettuce
1 Ripe Avocado
Fresh Rolled Tortillas
3 Tbsp Ground Cumin
Luvafoodie Margarita and Seafood Lovers Spices (or your favorite BBQ Rub)
Optional- Mesquite Wood Chunks or Chips for Smoking
- Clean, Deshell Shrimp. Marinate in BBQ Rub (we used Margarita Lime Seasoning), 2 Tbsp (each) Chopped Fresh Dill, Chopped Fresh Cilantro, and 1 Tbsp Ground Cumin. Place Shrimp on soaked Wooden Skewers. Add to hot Grill for 10 minutes each side with dry Mesquite Chips (in foil pouch for Gas Grills) or soaked Mesquite Chunks (for Charcoal Grills).
- Peel and Slice Onion in thick 1 inch slices, peel and cut Avocado and Lettuce in half (lengthwise). Season with BBQ Rub (we used Luvafoodie Seafood Lovers Blend) plus Cumin. Place on grill for 10 minutes per side. Onions will take longer- 20 minutes per side.
- For Smoked Chips. Season with BBQ Rub (we used Luvafoodie Seafood Lovers Blend and Cumin), place in foil pouch and add to Smoker for 10-15 minutes.
- Grill Tortillas 3 minutes per side. Dice Onions, mix with fresh chopped Cilantro. Dice Tomato, Avocado and Lettuce.
- Make Tacos with Shrimp on bottom. Add Onions, Tomatoes, Grilled Onion/Cilantro Mix. For Vegan, skip Shrimp and add Grilled Avocado instead.
- Add Chopped Avocado on top of Smoked Tortilla Chips along with Grilled Onion/Cilantro mix. Finish with final sprinkle of BBQ Rub (you know what we used).
Special Thanks to Sponsor www.luvafoodie.com